Indiana pet parents: Whether you’ve got an Ibizan Hound in Indianapolis, or a Balinese in Bloomington, you’ve come to the right place. We’ll take you through the hidden gems and insider tips of being an Indiana pet parent, and while we’re at it, we’ll guide you through the ins and outs of pet insurance so you can keep your furry friend (and your wallet) covered.
What is pet insurance?
Pet insurance helps cover the costs of your vet bills. You pay a monthly premium to the insurance company, and in exchange, you can care for your canine or feline fur fam without stressing about the costs.
With Lemonade pet insurance, there are a few different ways to customize your policy with our coverage options:
For starters, a base Lemonade pet health insurance policy will help cover the costs of tests, treatments, and medication if your dog or cat has an unexpected accident or illness.
A base policy is excellent for the unexpected things in your fur fam’s future. Still, Lemonade also offers preventative care packages designed to keep your pet healthy and helps cover expenses you’re probably already paying for. By adding this package to a Lemonade policy, you’ll also get access to live medical chat and be covered for all kinds of things—like your annual blood tests, vaccinations, wellness exam, and more. Some exclusions may apply.
Lemonade offers a Preventative, Preventative+, and a Puppy/Kitten Preventative package. Depending on your pet’s age, this package covers things like spaying/neutering, vaccinations, microchipping, and flea and tick treatments.
The fun doesn’t stop there. You can also customize your Lemonade policy by adding a physical therapy or vet visit fees add-on to take the bite out of pricey treatments and trips to the vet.
Here’s an example of how a Lemonade pet insurance policy works:
- Buy a policy. You answer a few quick questions about your German Shepherd, Hoosier, and build your pet’s policy with the help of our friendly AI chatbot. The monthly premium you pay is determined by various factors, primarily things that you can customize, like your your annual deductible, your co-insurance, coverage package, and the annual limit on your plan. (If you would like, you can take a deeper dive into how pet insurance works to help you create your perfect policy.) Pet insurance coverage with Lemonade can cost as low as $10/month. Here’s a handy breakdown of the whole (simple) process.
- Go to the vet. You rush Hoosier to the vet after he broke his leg from playing to rough at the dog park. The exam, x-ray, and cast cost you $1,000. Woof. But since you have pet insurance, you don’t have to worry about the total amount. Find out what we cover here.
- Get your money back. Hoosier is safely on the mend, and you get up to a $900 reimbursement back in your pocket from Lemonade!
It’s worth noting that as your dog ages, they will require more veterinary care and treatments, which is why it pays to take out a pet insurance policy for your dog as early as possible. If you try to sign your 13-year-old dog up for insurance for the first time, they might be declined due to their age; either way, they’re more likely to have pre-existing conditions that won’t be covered by insurance. But if you get your new puppy a Lemonade policy right away, you’ll be able to continue renewing their policy as they age.
Apply now to get your free pet insurance quote.
Top Indiana dog parks
Energetic pup? Let them run wild in one of Indiana’s many off-leash or fenced-in dog parks. Just make sure that they are spayed or neutered and your pup’s vaccinations are up-to-date and before you let them run wild.
- Fort Harrison State Dog Park. If you would like to romp with your pup in woodland wildflowers in full bloom, then the Fort Harrison Dog Park located in Indianapolis’ Fort Harrison State Park is a great place to visit. The park is a 1,700- acre blend of history and landscape. It features picnic sites, jogging trails, biking trails, and fishing access to Fall Creek. This dog park is a green oasis with three separate fenced play areas. Make sure you explore Platoon Run and Herrin Hill, including the agility equipment and the dog beach at Brigade Landing.
- Rover’s Run Bark Park. Your Rover can run wild at Rover’s Run Bark Park, located in Greenfield. The two-acre park is divided into two areas. The larger area is for all dogs, while the smaller area is for dogs under 25 pounds. Amenities include two watering stations, three shelters, and agility and exercise equipment. It is a safe environment frequented by Parks Department and PAWS representatives.
- Bed & Biscuit Dog Park. Let your Lassie loose at this fully-fenced off-leash dog park in Westfield. Your furry friend can get all of their energy out on the agility equipment and enjoy the swimming pond. Watch their four-part video series on their dog park to see how much fun there is to be had! While you’re there, Bed and Biscuit is also a locally owned “bed and breakfast” kennel that provides full-service pet care.
- Camp Canine. Located in Johnny Appleseed Park near Fort Wayne is 60,000 square feet of play area for freedom off the leash. Get your fur baby a Pooch Pass membership for daily fun in this grassy park. Your pup can enjoy the faux fire hydrants, and pawrents can hang out on the bone-shaped benches. Don’t miss their Dippin’ Dogs events! While you are in the area, also check out Pawster Park Pooch Playground, located in Foster Park.
- Karst Farm Dog Park. Expect to have a doggone good time at Karst Farm Dog Park located in Bloomington and part of Monroe County Parks. This clean and safe facility creates opportunities for you and your four-legged friends to socialize. Entrance to the park is by membership only, to ensure that all of the members are up-to-date with their vaccinations, so you can let Fido loose without reservations. The park has two sections, the small dog side for smaller, less active, or shy dogs, and the big dog side. Make sure to let your pooch take a dip in the doggy pools!
Support Indiana-based pet businesses
Support small Indiana businesses while keeping your best friend completely pampered!
- Just Paws Pet Services. When you have to go away, you need “the best care when you aren’t there.” That is the motto of the Sullivan-based Just Paws Pet Services. What’s essential for them is that your pet is safe and healthy. Their services include full-service grooming, boarding, public self-service bathing, day sitting, and they also host non-profit adoption events. They offer products such as toys, leashes, collars, shampoo, and more. They even provide veterinary services onsite by certified veterinarians.
- Waggin and Braggin Pet Services. Waggin and Braggin Pet Services is a premier groomer located in Bluffton, serving all of northeast Indiana. They offer various grooming services, packages, and goodies, so your furry friends will be well taken care of. Their prime package includes conditioner, a cut, and cologne or if you’re really looking to spoil your pup, go for their deluxe package, which also includes teeth brushing and nail smoothing. Ask about the rest of their add-ons and à la carte options!
- Alternative Pet Services. Sometimes pawrents just can’t do it all themselves, and need ab assist from a pet sitting or dog walking service. Alternative Pet Services has been recognized numerous times for its high-quality care. Locally run and operated by Duane, a lifelong Hoosier, your pet can get taken care of in the comfort of their own home. To get started, call and set up a free meet and greet with your fur babies soon!
- LittleStinkers-Pet Waste Removal. Being a pet parent involves quite a bit of dirty work. However, you don’t have to do it all yourself. This locally owned and operated waste removal service’s motto is “it’s a crappy job, but we’re glad to do it!” They will arrive as scheduled and deal with the business that you don’t have time to worry about, leaving you with a poop-free yard, peace of mind, and more free time.
- Pet-Agree Professional Pet Services. Family-owned and operated in Jasper, Indiana, Pet-Agree Professional Pet Services is a full-service destination for pet owners who want the best. For both cats and dogs, they provide grooming services, loving daycare, and training for both fur babies and pet parents. They are Indiana’s first A.K.C. S.A.F.E certified salon!
Before we go…
The companionship, the kisses, the laughter! Being a pet parent is great, isn’t it? Pets add so much to our lives. The love that Indiana pet parents have for their furry companions is real. In fact, an Indiana University South Bend study investigated the meanings and roles of pets in people’s lives and the benefits of human-pet attachments. Of course, our pets are dear to us, but vet bills can really take a bite out of our wallets, which is why more and more pet parents have decided that pet insurance is in their best interests. Apply now to learn if pet insurance is right for your fur fam.