Tennessee pet parents: Whether you’ve got a Nebelung in Nashville, or a Malinois in Memphis, you’ve come to the right place. We’ll take you through the insider tips and hidden gems of being a Tennessee pet parent, and while we’re at it, we’ll go through the ins-and-outs of pet insurance so you can keep your furry companion (and your wallet) covered.
What is pet insurance?
Pet insurance helps cover the costs of your vet bills. You pay a monthly premium to the insurance company, and in exchange, you can care for your feline or canine fur fam without worrying about the costs.
With Lemonade pet insurance, there are a number of different ways to customize your policy with our coverage options:
To begin with, a base Lemonade pet health insurance policy will help cover the costs of tests, treatments, and medication if your dog or cat has an unexpected accident or illness.
A base policy is great for the unexpected things in your fur fam’s future, but Lemonade also offers preventative care packages designed to keep your pet healthy and helps cover expenses you’re probably already paying for. By adding this package to a Lemonade policy, you’ll also get access to live medical chat and be covered for all kinds of things—like your annual wellness exam, vaccinations, blood tests, and more. Some exclusions may apply.
Lemonade offers a Preventative, Preventative+, and a Puppy/Kitten Preventative package. This package covers things like spaying/neutering, vaccinations, microchipping, and flea and tick treatments, depending on your pet’s age.
The fun doesn’t stop there. You can also customize your Lemonade policy by adding vet visit fees or a physical therapy add-on to take the bite out of pricey treatments and trips to the vet.
Here’s an example of how a Lemonade pet insurance policy works:
- Buy a policy. You answer a few quick questions about your German Shepherd, Smokey, and build your pet’s policy with the help of our friendly AI chatbot. The monthly premium you pay is determined by a few factors, mostly things that you can customize, like your annual deductible, your coverage package, your co-insurance, and the annual limit on your plan. (If you want, you can take a deeper dive into how pet insurance works to help you build your perfect policy.) Pet insurance coverage with Lemonade can cost as little as $10/month. Here’s a handy breakdown of the whole (simple) process.
- Go to the vet. You rush Smokey to the vet after he broke his leg from playing too hard at the dog park. The exam, x-ray, and cast cost you $1,000. Woof. But because you have pet insurance, you don’t have to worry about the total amount. Get the scoop on what we cover here.
- Get your money back. Smokey is safely on the mend, and you get up to a $900 reimbursement back in your pocket from Lemonade!
It’s worth noting that your dog will require more veterinary care and treatments as they age, which is why it’s worth it to take out a pet insurance policy for your dog as soon as possible. If you try to sign your 12-year-old dog up for insurance for the first time, they might be declined due to their age; either way, they’re more likely to have pre-existing conditions that won’t be covered by insurance. However, if you get your new puppy a Lemonade policy right away, you’ll be able to continue renewing their policy as they age.
Apply now to get your pet insurance quote free.
Protect your pet from toxic Tennessee plants
Most fur parents know the dangers of toxic foods such as chocolate, onions, and tomatoes for their fur babies. But how many consider the toxic plants found in nature?
When your four-legged friend plays in the backyard, or takes a walk, keep your eyes peeled for these toxic plants, commonly found in Tennessee. You should immediately take your pet to the vet if you suspect they have ingested a harmful plant. The ASPCA animal poison control is also an excellent place to turn to. Here is their phone number: (888)-426-4435.
The list of toxic plants that are native to Tennessee is long. This is by no means a comprehensive list of plants that are poisonous for your pets, but a few that are highly toxic are listed below. Reach out to your local veterinarian ASAP if your fur babies ingest any plant that you are unfamiliar with.
|Name of plant||Toxic to dogs||Toxic to cats|
Top Tennessee dog parks
Energetic pup? Let them run wild in one of Tennessee’s many off-leash dog parks. Just make sure your pup’s vaccinations are up-to-date and that they are spayed or neutered before you let them run loose.
- BarkPark. BarkPark is a hip human hangout as well as a super fun dog park from the creators of BarkBox subscriptions and the BarkShop online shop. This Nashville dog park isn’t just a dog-friendly place; it’s dog-obsessed! It’s an outdoor clubhouse for dogs and their humans. There’s free wifi, a modern design with comfortable seating, a BYOB option for humans, and plenty of green space for four-legged friends to romp and run around. They also host awesome events, from stand-up comedy nights to movie nights to beer tastings. It’s indeed the place for both of you and your pup to enjoy!
- The Barking Lot. Kingsport is a city that wants you to bring your best friend with you. The entire town is super pet-friendly and has plenty of local businesses that make it known that your pets are more than welcome. The town features twenty-one pet-friendly restaurants to eleven hotels that invite furry guests to come along. The Barking Lot is a dog park that fits into that Kingsport vibe. It is a fenced-in grassy lot that is approximately 150×35 feet. Small but mighty (just like your chihuahua).
- Play Wash Pint. At Play Wash Pint in Chattanooga, the pooches can play while the humans get a pint. This 11,000 square foot synthetic turf park has plenty of space for your furry friend to socialize. There is also a self-service wash station equipped with shampoo, towels, and a doggy dryer. Finally, with a wide selection of draft beers, ciders & seltzers, pawrents can get a drink and relax. They also have daycare services. As they say at Play Wash Pint, it’s the “happiest place on turf!”
- Outback at Shelby Farms Park. Unlike other fenced-in dog parks, the Outback, located in Memphis, has over 100 acres of off-leash open space. The dog park includes trails, ponds, a washing station, and a water fountain. This park is a multi-use space shared by runners, hikers, cyclists, anglers, horses, and other off-leash dogs. The entirety of Shelby Farms Park is a total of 4,500 acres and over forty miles of trails, making it one of the largest urban parks in the country.
- PetSafe Village Dog Park. The PetSafe Village Dog Park is Knoxville’s first dog park. The park includes a natural pond, park benches, picnic tables, walking trails, and a doggie water fountain. After initial success, there are numerous PetSafe dog park locations: Downtown PetSafe Dog Park, Tommy Schumpert- PetSafe Dog Park, Dogwood Dog Park- Victor Ashe, Charter Doyle PetSafe Dog Park, and Plumb Creek PetSafe Dog Park.
Support Tennessee-based pet businesses
Support small Tennessee businesses while keeping your best friend totally pampered!
- PetSafe Village Pet Resort and Spa. Yes, the same PetSafe, which was the first of many dog parks in Knoxville, also provides services caring for hundreds of pets, following their motto; “Safe Pets, Happy Owners.” They offer daycare, accommodations, dog training, and a dog spa with 2,700 square feet of indoor play space. Pawrents can even watch their pups with live webcams!
- Ma and Paws Pet Supplies. This Hendersonville pet store provides dog and cat food and supplies. Their services include pet grooming, local pet rescues, nutritional counseling, and pickup services. They carry only the best, highest quality, all-natural pet food brands.
- Holistic Pet. If you are looking for top quality pet food and treats, Nashville Holistic Pet is the place to go. This shop is a local business that carries supplies and healthy nutrition options for cats and dogs. They also offer stress-free pet grooming, so your four-legged family member can enjoy a spa day in style.
- Pet Pals. Do you need help training your dog? Pet Pals is a local, professional pet services company in Franklin. From behavior training to walking and boarding, they can help with whatever your dog needs in a kennel-free environment. Their services include one-on-one behavioral training, boarding and daycare, walking and exercise trips, and taxi and check-in services.
- Baxter Bailey & Company. Your pup will be a spoiled spot after you indulge in the good life at Baxter Bailey & Company, “luxury living for the discriminating mutt.” This shop in Nashville sells the best toy brands from Qwizl to Fabdog and pampering bath and grooming products. They offer treats, apparel, and health and wellness supplies.
Before we go…
Being a pet parent is just the best, isn’t it? The laughter, the kisses, the companionship! Pets add so much to our lives. The love that Tennessee pet parents have for their furry companions is real. In fact, an East Tennessee State University study found that animal-assisted activities and therapy programs could help senior citizens with depression. That’s beyond puppy love right there.
Of course, our pets are dear to our hearts, but vet bills can really take a gnaw at our finances, which is why more and more pet parents have decided that pet insurance is the best thing they can do. Learn more about whether pet insurance is the right choice for you and how much it costs.