If you’re reading this, you’ve already figured out that being a pet parent comes with a lot of responsibility—and yes, that includes financial responsibility.
You’re buying fancy food, running to the vet, and paying for grooming sessions and a cat or dog-sitter when you’re away. Pet parents have a lot going on, and those bills add up fast. Buying dog insurance or cat insurance for your furry family member is a smart (and responsible) move to help you cover the costs of health care.
In this piece, we’ll break down exactly how you can sign up for a Lemonade policy on your phone or laptop, with plenty of visual guides. We’ll also cover waiting periods, and the types of medical records required to set up your account.
Let’s get right to it!
Step 1: First thing’s first
On a mobile device:
Download the Lemonade app on the Apple App Store or Google Play Store. Once in the app, start your account by filling out your name and email address. Then, select Pet Health Insurance. Easy breezy.
If you’re using a computer:
See that big, pink ‘Get Your Quote in Seconds’ button at the top of this article? Go ahead and click it. Enter your name and email, select Pet Health Insurance, and you’re ready to go.
Step 2: Meet AI Maya, our Personal Insurance Assistant chatbot. Just follow her lead to get your quote.
Maya will start off by asking a few basic questions to get to know you and your furry friend better. What sort of stuff? Well, information like where you live, whether your pup Luna is a boy or girl, and details on their age, breed, and weight. This helps us design the best coverage for your pet.
Once you’ve answered all of Maya’s questions, your basic quote is ready!
(FYI, Maya can also help you get homeowners, renters, or term life insurance… and if your home or apartment is insured with Lemonade, you can get a 10% bundle discount on your pet’s insurance.)
Step 3: Customize your policy. Get what you need and don’t pay for stuff you don’t want.
The amount shown in your quote is the monthly premium, or how much you’d pay each month for the standard accidents & illness coverage. That means something like a broken leg or an injury from a car accident could be covered, as would a mysterious stomach bug. If your pet has an injury, vomiting, diarrhea, infections, hip dysplasia, cancer, or many other illnesses we hope they never have to experience, a standard policy will help cover the costs of things like:
- Diagnostics: Blood tests, x-rays, MRIs, CT scans, and lab work
- Procedures: Outpatient, specialty and emergency care, hospitalization and surgery
- Medications: Injections or prescription meds
Your premium is calculated based on your pet’s breed, age and location (yeah, veterinary care costs aren’t the same in New York and California). But you don’t have to stop there. If you’d like, before enrollment, you can customize and add to your policy in various ways.
Choose monthly or annual payments. You can select an annual payment plan or a month-by-month payment. Your choice!
Select add-on packages. If you want to get more coverage for your pet, Lemonade offers add-on packages:
- Choose the Preventative and Wellness package if you’d like to be reimbursed for preventative care costs—like vaccinations, and your annual wellness exam, which can help you keep your dog or cat from getting sick.
- Go for the Extended Accident and Illness package if you want even more coverage. This package covers vet visit fees when you go for a check up, as well as treatments for functionality issues that can help your pet through a recovery process, like physical therapy, acupuncture, and more.
Adjust your co-insurance, annual limit and annual deductible. What does that mean?
- Co-insurance is the part of your vet bill that we pay on eligible claims. You’ll cover the remainder. So, if you’re looking to lower your premium, you can select a lower co-insurance. This way, you’ll pay less on your policy—but keep in mind that if something happens, you’ll be paying a bigger portion of the cost.
- The annual limit is simply the maximum value Lemonade will pay out each year for all your claims combined. Here, you get to pick anything between $5,000 and $100,000. This is another way to lower your premium. The higher the annual limit, the higher your premium ends up being.
- Your annual deductible is the total amount you’ll need to pay for claims throughout the year. You can choose between $100, $250 or $500. The lower your annual deductible is, the higher your premium will be.
Learn more about customizing your coverages here.
Once you’ve customized your coverage and provided payment details, a copy of the policy will be emailed to you.
Step 4: Select your Giveback recipient
While most insurance companies keep the money that wasn’t used to pay claims, we donate the leftover premiums to worthy causes through the Lemonade Giveback program.
Simply choose a cause from the list and we’ll make sure to donate any unclaimed money from your policy to the organization you picked. We work with nonprofits like PAWS, Humane Society, SPCA, and other animal-focused organizations. But you can pick any cause you care about, from the ACLU to the Trevor Project.
Before you go: Don’t forget about waiting periods and medical records!
Congrats! Your little buddy’s policy becomes active just after midnight of the day you sign up. But there’s a few things to keep in mind.
Your pet isn’t eligible for reimbursement the moment you buy your policy. Your new policy has three waiting periods before you can file a claim:
- 2 days for accidents
- 14 days for illnesses
- 6 months for cruciate ligament events
Curious to learn more? We’ve got more info for pet owners on waiting periods here.
At Lemonade, we require a medical record that includes info from a visit that took place within 12 months of your policy’s start date.
Vets refer to these as SOAP medical records. You can send us an up-to-date medical record within 14 days of buying your policy… but don’t forget! We’ll need those records before we can process any claims.
Speaking of claims: Although you can sign up for Lemonade on your desktop, you’ll need to download the app in order to file claims—so you might as well do that ASAP! Also, here’s a guide to what to do after getting your pet insurance policy.
Now, go high-five your furry friend!